Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Baby Back Ribs


  I have never ordered ribs in a restaurant and to be honest I am not a huge fan of them...except when they are cooked like this! My dad works in the grocery industry and a butcher once told him the key to tender, fall of the bone ribs is removing the membrane on the bone side of the ribs. He started to make his ribs using this recipe and my brother and I loved them! I had never attempted making them myself and normally left that to my dad, so I ate ribs maybe once or twice a year when I saw him. A few months ago I asked him for the recipe and thought I would give them a try. I recently went on a family vacation and thought these would be a great crowd pleaser, so I wanted to try them out before my trip. When I made them the first time Trevor loved them, when I made them for my family they loved, so I figured the recipe was blog worthy :) 
Baby Back Ribs

2 racks of baby back ribs
1 onion, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 of a can of beer
about 1- 1 1/2 cups of water (you want enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish)
your favorite pork seasoning or dry rub
your favorite BBQ sauce
salt
pepper

  Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

  Remove the membrane on the back (bone side) of the baby back ribs. Sometimes it helps to slice the membrane a little with a knife to get it started peeling off. If you can not peel it off at least try and scrape it with the knife to remove as much of the membrane as possible, but it should peel off easily.

  Put the onions and garlic in the bottom of a large baking dish. Pour in the beer and water, make sure there is enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the ribs with your favorite seasoning (I normally just use a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder). 

  Place the seasoned ribs in the baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the oven. 

  Once the ribs are done, carefully remove foil (watch out for the steam, its hot!), and place ribs on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slather the ribs generously with BBQ sauce and once oven is preheated to 350, place back in oven on the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, just enough to caramelize the BBQ sauce a little. 

  You can also do the last step with the ribs on a grill, instead of the oven at 350 degrees. Just be sure to not over cook the ribs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment