Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lime Cilantro Fajitas



 I am going on vacation this week with my family to visit some of our family in Florida. I will be going with my mom, grandma, aunt, uncle, and cousin from California to visit my aunt, cousins and second cousins in Florida, so we are by no means a small clan (we are actually missing a few immediate family members from this trip but even without them we are still a huge group!). We are planning on spending everyday together at the beach, afternoons at the pool and of course as many dinners together as possible! I was really excited to go on the trip and really wanted to cook a few meals for my family. I needed to think of recipes that were simple, needed minimal ingredients, did not need any specials tools/techniques and meals that were also cost effective since I would be feeding so many people. I also did not want to spend half of my vacation in the kitchen so I wanted to bring some recipes along that really didn't take too long. This recipe is one that made the cut because it is simple, has unique flavors, requires very few ingredients, can easily feed a crowd, and of course is not too expensive. The original recipe had you grill the fajitas and veggies, but I used my george foreman grill instead, which actually made cooking the sliced veggies much easier than trying to cook them on a grill and prevent them from falling through.


Lime Cilantro Fajitas


1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup olive oil
juice of 5-6 limes (make sure they are really juicy or add a few more)
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/4 teaspoons chile powder


8-10 chicken tenders ( or 4-5 chicken breasts)
2-3 bell peppers, cut into strips
1-2 red onions, peeled, cu into strips


flour tortillas
salsa, guacamole, cheese, or any other toppings you like :)


Preheat grill. Puree first 5 ingredients to make marinade in a processor. Season marinade lightly with salt and pepper. 


Place chicken in a baking dish or bowl, pour 1/3 cup of marinade over chicken, turning to coat. Place bell peppers and onions in a separate bowl or dish, pour 1/4 cup marinade over, toss to coat. Reserve remaining marinade.


Grill bell peppers and onions until tender. Grill chicken until cooked through. Heat tortillas on grill or in pan on stove (if you are not using a grill). Transfer chicken to cutting board and slice into strips. Place chicken, bell peppers, and onions in a dish and drizzle with reserved marinade and serve with tortillas and toppings :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment