Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blueberry Crumb Cake...how could you go wrong?


  I recently ordered a new cookbook, The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Coobook, and I am in love with it! I have never bought a cookbook from The America's Test Kitchen series, but after reading rave reviews and seeing recipes from the cookbook posted on Annies Eats I decided to try it out. I am beyond impressed with this cookbook. I've only had the cookbook a week and already made 4 recipes, all which turned out amazing. I think the cookbook also seems to balance real ingredients with healthy meals, as opposed to using all fat free, sugar free, etc ingredients.
  I decided to make this Blueberry Crumb Cake, well because I love blueberries and I love crumb cake! I also was intrigued by a healthy and also tasty crumb cake recipe. I have found that healthy eating can easily be applied to cooking, but baking is often a different story. Normally, healthy baking recipes I try come out tasting ok, but are just missing that decadent taste baked goods have. Well this crumb tastes like something ordered at that bakery that you would need to spend hours in the gym afterwards to negate. Its moist, the crumb topping has the right amount of crisp and sweetness, and the blueberries add little hints of flavor throughout the crumb cake. So without further ado:






Blueberry Crumb Cake
makes one 8-inch square cake, serves 12


1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 c. low fat sour cream
1 larger egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 c. blueberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( I added a pinch of cinnamon into the batter mixture for extra flavor)


Directions:


  Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8-inch square pan with baking spray ( I just lightly rubbed butter around the pan, I like to avoid baking/cooking sprays). 


 Pulse the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 1/2 c. brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of cinnamon together in a food processor to combine ( I actually mixed it in my Kitchen Aide Mixer because my food processor broke and I have yet to replace it, I would mix in a food processor if you have one but a mixer seemed to work fine for me!). With the food processor running, add 5 tablespoons of the melted butter and process until the flour mixture looks sandy. 


  Transfer 1/4 c. of the flour mixture to a medium bowl and set aside for the topping later. Add the sour cream, egg, and vanilla to the flour mixture in the food processor and pulse until the mixture just comes together, about 8 pulses, and do not over mix. 
  Transfer the batter to a large bowl (if you are doing this in a mixer just keep the mixture in the same bowl, no need to transfer!) and gently fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula. Scrap the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.


  Stir the remaining 1/4 c. brown sugar and cinnamon into the reserved flour mixture. Add the remaining tablespoon of melted butter and toss gently with a fork until incorporated and some larger pea sized crumbs have developed. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the batter. 


  Bake until the topping is golden brown and a toothpick (or a knife, we have a no toothpick policy in our family and anyone who knows us knows why!) inserted into the center of the cake comes out with just a few crumbs on it, about 30-35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. (I founded I needed to cook the cake about 33 min, but every oven is different. The cookbook notes to err on the side of underdone because the cake can become dry from overcooking)


  Let the cake cool in the pan at least 20 minute before serving. The cookbook suggested serving the cake the same day you make it because the crumb topping can lose its 'crunch'. Of course we ate some last night after making it and I had to have a test 'day after cooking' piece this morning and it seems just as delicious as last night. I would recommend eating it within a day or two of baking though, not that I see that as a problem for anyone though :)


Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook


  Here's a little preview of the posts for the week to come: Turkey Chili,  Rosemary Garlic Chicken Kebabs, Tomato Potato Gratin, Flatbread Tacos...

No comments:

Post a Comment