Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lemon Risotto



  I tried risotto for the first time at Emeril's restaurant Nola while on a trip to New Orleans this past fall. I couldn't believe what I had been missing! I had yet to make it myself until this past weekend. I was hesitant to make risotto because of all the warnings about how time consuming and difficult it is to constantly stir the risotto as you add the liquid. Now my arm was tired after stirring the risotto for 20-30 min, but it was completely worth it. I prefer a mushroom risotto personally, but Trevor does not like mushrooms at all so I decided to give this lemon version a try. We both love lemon but agreed this recipe had a little too much lemon. So next time I make this I will probably cut the lemon juice to about half. I also will omit the white wine because for some reason I felt it left a funny aftertaste, but I am not a fan of alcohols in cooking so maybe it was just me. I would make the recipe as directed the first time and adjust the recipe based on your taste preferences after that. You may love the overly tangy lemon taste or the hint of wine aftertaste. 

  I sauteed some wild caught Oregon bay shrimp in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic to serve on top of this risotto. They both went really well together. I try and buy seafood using the guidelines from Seafood Watch because it takes into consideration not only the impact your seafood choices have on the environment but also the impact your seafood choices have on your health based on how it was farmed or caught. Just a little side note :) Overall this recipe was exceptionally good and something I will definitely make again...with a few minor tweaks, Enjoy!


Lemon Risotto


4 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth if you want to make it vegetarian)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil


  In a medium sauce pan bring the broth and 1/4 cup of lemon juice to a simmer. Cover the broth and keep over low heat. 


  In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute about 3 minute, then add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the wine and remaining 1/4 cup of lemon juice and simmer until it has almost completely evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely evaporated, about 2 minutes.




  Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time and stirring until each broth addition absorbs before adding the next, until rice is tender but firm and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. 




  Then stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, lemon zest, and the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, garnish with basil, and serve. 




*I posted this recipe as I cooked it originally, but definitely will be cutting the lemon juice in half and omitting the white wine next time I make it!


Adapted from Giada's Kitchen by Giada De Laurentiis

No comments:

Post a Comment