Thursday, February 10, 2011

Curried Chicken Flatbread Tacos


  I mentioned in an earlier post that I would be making rosemary garlic chicken kebabs...well I  nixed that idea. I went to go make my flatbread tacos last night and realized that they would be a little bland with just some grilled chicken. So I thought I'd make the rosemary chicken kebabs to go in the flatbread tacos...then I saw a variation on the rosemary garlic marinade...a curry marinade! Flatbread and curry go pretty well together so I decided on curried chicken flatbread tacos. I have only used curry a handful of times, not because I don't like it, but for some reason I never pick recipes using it. I really loved the tanginess of this marinade and the consistency of it. The chicken should be grilled, but I didn't feel like venturing out in the cold to the community Bbq to grill it, so I settled for using the George Foreman, which is pretty similar to an actual grill. I chose to use buttermilk for the base of the marinade, but you could use a plain yogurt as well. I wanted the marinade to have a thinner consistency because any liquids that are too thick tend to pool up on the George Foreman ( if I was using a grill this wouldn't have been a problem because any excess marinade would just drip off). 
  These could easily become vegetarian dishes by skipping the chicken and just making it with the zucchini or any other grilled vegetables. Feel free to vary the toppings for the flatbread tacos as well, I chose those toppings based on what we like and what we had in the fridge. 


Curried Chicken Flatbread Tacos

1/2 lb of chicken breast tenders
4-5 zucchini, sliced about 1/4-1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 yellow onion, minced
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
1 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
zest and juice of one lemon
2-3 tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro
salt and pepper
2 tomatoes, chopped
3-4 cups of spinach or  lettuce
goat cheese
middle eastern flatbread
skewers (if using a grill)

  Combine buttermilk, garlic, ginger, 1 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, lemon zest and juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to marinade and marinate for 20 minutes, while you prep other ingredients.

  Place sliced zucchini in a bowl, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, salt and pepper to taste.

  Chop tomatoes, rinse spinach or lettuce, and set aside in separate bowls. Warm a grill, grill pan, or George Foreman grill. Skewer the chicken and zucchini if using a grill, place skewers on grill and cook until done, turning them halfway through. If not using a grill, skip the skewers and place zucchini on grill pan or George Foreman grill, turning halfway through if using a grill pan. Place cooked zucchini in a serving bowl and set aside. Place chicken on grill pan or George Forman grill making sure to turn halfway through if using a grill pan. While chicken is cooking, warm the flatbread in a skillet in batches over medium heat, for about 2-4 minutes turning halfway through.



  Place cooked chicken and zucchini in a serving bowl and serve with flatbread, tomatoes, spinach or lettuce, and lemon wedges like a taco bar. Sprinkle flatbread tacos with goat cheese. 


No comments:

Post a Comment